Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Global warming?

Since my last hurried blog post, I hope that I can fill in some gaps…

This last weekend we traveled to Kumasi, a large town about 5 hours away from Accra, we got up at 430 in the morning and all took a bus up to the region, the Ashanti Kingdom. We visiting the palace of the modern day king, went to some beautiful craft fairs of Kente Cloth and drum making…it was a fantastic trip. We stayed in a lovely hotel, and soaked up a different region that we have been spending time in lately…it was a great change of pace.

I feel like everything has fallen into place for me, my classes, friends, my work at New Horizon. There is a wonderful routine to everything, and at the same time, I find days, moments when I am suddenly surrounded by all things new. In talking to mom, dad, friends, I am continuously shocked at how I have accustomed to certain things here, like crazy markets, haggling for literally EVERything, taxis, food, clothes, fabric etc., friends with irregular bowel movementsJ, beggars on the street…I feel myself challenged, and my heart breaks a little every day, but I feel so unbelievably charged right now, like I really need to do something big. I have notes, drawings, ideas, scribbled all over my journals, papers taped to my wall. Being here has been a wake-up call, I feel on the verge of getting a project rolling… more to follow on that. Oh and it is SO HOT here, the locals all say it is the hottest that they can remember...global warming???

I am thinking of you all, so very much! You are in my heart as I navigate this crazy wonderful adventureJ

1 comment:

  1. The sounthern hemisphere is setting lots of record highs this year. But no single weather event or season can be labeled 'global warming' whether the speaker is Al Gore or Donald Trump. By definition, climat5e is the average over time, and in the case of a region and a season, thirty years is an appropriate time frame average.
    Great to read your accounts. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete