Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Happy Birthday Ghana!

I forgot to say that last week, for my African Dance class, we got to go to the National theater and danced with th national dance troupe of Ghana. Seriously. It was absolutely incredible! They were so generous and kind, while making fun of us at times too, which we deserved. We all left wishing that we had larger butts to shake around. Oh well!
This last weekend, my friends and I rented a house at Big Milly’s Backyard, a backpackers paradise on Kokrobrite beach, about an hour and a half from Accra. We left early Saturday morning, which was Ghanaian Independence Day, and got to the hotel around 11. We checked in, squeezed 11 of us into a tiny little house with an upstairs, balcony, cute little couches… and hit the beach, swimming with children everywhere, shopping on the beach for dresses, pottery, jewelry, fresh pineapples, coconuts and oranges, and reading. It was blissful. In the middle of the day, a crazy rain storm came in for about an hour and I had one of the most glorious moments of my life, standing in the warm, warm ocean in the rain, feeling the wind all around me. We went out to a little Italian restaurant owned by real Italians(!) and then celebrated Ghanaian independence day with reggae, dancing and excellent company.
This week we are all getting ready for our spring break adventure, while simultaneously taking midterms. I had my art history midterm yesterday…yeesh! But I think I did well☺. On Friday, my friends Camilla, Mara and I are traveling to Tamale and Mole National park to see elephants, sleep on the roof of our hotel, and then work our way south, staying at the famous stilt village, Green Turtle Eco lodge and hiking through the rainforest to visit bat caves for a week. I am so excited to just go, it will be pretty spontaneous, and I think its safe to say, pretty unforgettable, whatever happens.
Love to everyone at home, thinking of you as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment